Taking the Path...

At the age of sixteen I volunteered to become a softball coach for girls ages ten to twelve. I was nervous, I had never coached before. I was the first one to the softball field and as I was unloading my car the children began showing up. As they were dropped off by their parents, their exuberance was contagious. I headed towards the dugout and a small little wiry girl approached me. She squeaked out, "My name is Sarah. Are you our coach?"
    I knelt down in front of her and said, "Yes I am. My name is Ashly and it's nice to meet you Sarah. What position do you play?"
    She fidgeted in a strange way that made her look as though I asked her to solve a geometry algorithm. "Well, the thing is I've never really played softball before. I always wanted to try, but I've never been very good at sports."
    At this moment I realized this season was going to be about a lot more than softball. "Sarah. Not everyone is a great athlete. But if you show up to every practice and every game and just try your best and have fun, then you will definitely be a winner in my book."
    The season became a metaphor for my next formative years. I've worked with children ever since. Wins and losses had never meant so little to me. I just wanted to make sure the girls had fun, they played the game the right way, and they were proud of the way they conducted themselves on and off the field.
    At the end of the season the children and parents presented me with a book titled Why We Had Fun. The book had pictures and quotes from all the kids and some of the parents letting me know exactly what happened that made that season special for them. It didn't end with a championship, or a trophy or a ticker tape parade. It ended with me knowing that working with children was what I wanted for my life. I was never more sure of anything before. It just came so naturally to me. 
This has helped me get where I am today in my life with work, my education and as a parent. 

Comments